Sadio Mane has been ruled out of the World Cup after being unable to recover from injury in time, in a cruel blow to Senegal.
Mane suffered a leg injury in Bayern Munich’s 6-1 win over Werder Bremen earlier this month, which put into doubt his hopes of competing at the tournament.
The German champions said at the time that the forward had an injury ‘to the head of his right fibula’.
He was included in Senegal’s squad for the tournament in Qatar despite his tournament participation being put in doubt.
Senegal coach Aliou Cisse had been optimistic when discussing Mane’s injury earlier this month, but the Bayern forward has now been ruled out of the showpiece event.
Cisse had said: ‘We are monitoring the situation and we sent a doctor from the federation.
‘On Thursday, Sadio spent the whole day in Munich before travelling to Austria for further tests. The good news is that he does not need an operation.
‘It is important to continue to monitor his injury and hope that in two or three weeks there is a change. We will give everything to have Sadio back.’
The Bayern Munich forward had initially been expected to miss the tournament anyway but he was included in Senegal’s final World Cup squad, even though the African nation acknowledged that they were likely to be without Mane for the first few games.
However, Senegal have now admitted defeat in their attempts to get Mane back fit and have formally ruled him out of the tournament.