The nominees for the 2022 Ballon d’Or awards have been announced by France Football.
Lionel Messi who is the current holder of the men’s award and the record seven-time winner has not been nominated this year.
Five-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo, though, is included as well as his former Real Madrid teammate Karim Benzema, who is the overwhelming favourite to win the men’s award this year for the first time.
Benzema scored 44 goals in 46 games for Madrid last season to help the Spanish side win both the Champions League and La Liga last season under Carlo Ancelotti.
PSG star Kylian Mbappe is the bookies’ second favourite to win the men’s award, with Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah and Bayern Munich’s Sadio Mane also thought to be in contention.
Both the winners of the men’s and women’s awards will be revealed at a ceremony on October 17.
Check out the full list of nominees below:
- Thibaut Courtois – Real Madrid
- Rafael Leao – AC Milan
- Christopher Nkunku – RB Leipzig
- Mohamed Salah – Liverpool
- Joshua Kimmich – Bayern Munich
- Trent Alexander-Arnold – Liverpool
- Vinicius Junior – Real Madrid
- Bernardo Silva – Manchester City
- Luis Diaz – Porto/Liverpool
- Robert Lewandowski – Bayern Munich/Barcelona
- Riyad Mahrez – Manchester City
- Casemiro – Real Madrid
- Son Heung-min – Tottenham Hotspur
- Fabinho – Liverpool
- Karim Benzema – Real Madrid
- Mike Maignan – AC Milan
- Harry Kane – Tottenham Hotspur
- Darwin Nunez – Benfica/Liverpool
- Phil Foden – Manchester City
- Sadio Mane – Liverpool/Bayern Munich
- Sebastien Haller – Ajax/Borussia Dortmund
- Luka Modric – Real Madrid
- Antonio Rudiger – Chelsea/Real Madrid
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Manchester United
- Kevin De Bruyne – Manchester City
- Dusan Vlahovic – Fiorentina/Juventus
- Virgil van Dijk – Liverpool
- Joao Cancelo – Manchester City
- Kylian Mbappe – Paris Saint-Germain
- Erling Haaland – Borussia Dortmund/Manchester City