Sebastien Haller has been diagnosed with a testicular tumour after he complained of feeling unwell during Borussia Dortmund’s pre-season training camp in Switzerland.
The 28-year-old Ivory Coast international complained that he felt unwell after training on Monday morning.
Following a series of thorough medical examinations conducted during the course of the day, a testicular tumour was ultimately discovered. Further examinations will take place in a specialist medical facility over the coming days.
Reacting to the news, Dortmund sporting director Sebastian Kehl told Borussia Dortmund’s official site:
“This news today came as a shock to Sebastien Haller and everyone else. The entire BVB family hopes that Sebastien makes a full recovery as soon as possible and that we can give him a hug again soon. We’ll do everything in our power to ensure that he receives the best-possible treatment,” BVB sporting director Sebastian Kehl said.
Borussia Dortmund request that the privacy of the player and his family is respected and that no inquiries are made. As soon as we have further information, we will consult with the player and inform you.
Haller was expected to make his debut for Dortmund after joining the club from Ajax in a £26.3million deal earlier this summer.
The Ivory Coast international has rebuilt his career over the past 18 months in Holland following a difficult spell at West Ham, where Haller failed to live up to expectations after joining the Hammers for a club-record fee.
During his brief stint in Amsterdam, Haller plundered 47 goals in 66 games to fire the Dutch giants to back-to-back Eredivisie titles under the guidance of Manchester United’s new boss, Erik ten Hag.