Date set for fraud trial of Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini2 min read
Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter and ex-UEFA boss Michel Platini will go on trial facing corruption charges in June, Switzerland’s Federal Criminal Court (FCC) has confirmed.
The pair were last year charged with fraud and other offences by Swiss authorities relating to a payment made in 2011.
Switzerland’s attorney general’s office (OAG) published an indictment following an investigation that began in 2015.
Both men “are accused of unlawfully arranging a payment of CHF2million from FIFA to Michel Platini”, the OAG said at the time.
The date for the trial to start has now been set for June 8, with proceedings set to last until June 22.
The case centres on a payment made by FIFA to Platini in 2011, authorised by Blatter, which the OAG alleges “was made without a legal basis”.
The indictment alleges that Platini demanded this CHF2million payment more than eight years after his work as a consultant for Blatter between 1999 and 2002 had come to an end, and that it “damaged FIFA’s assets and unlawfully enriched Platini”.
According to the indictment, Platini had allegedly been paid by FIFA an annual fee of CHF300,000 for his consultancy work. This amount had been agreed upon in a written contract, the indictment said.
Blatter was originally banned from footballing activities for eight years, reduced to six, by FIFA in 2015 following an Ethics Committee investigation that described the payment as “disloyal”. Platini was also given an eight-year suspension.
Both Blatter and Platini have denied any wrongdoing, with the former FIFA president stating there was a “gentleman’s agreement” over the payment.
Blatter has been charged with fraud, misappropriation, criminal mismanagement and forgery of a document. Platini has been charged with fraud, participating in misappropriation, participating in criminal mismanagement and forgery of a document.