Chris Wood has become Newcastle’s second January signing after completing his move from Premier League relegation rivals Burnley.
The 30-year-old New Zealand striker has signed for an undisclosed fee, understood to be in excess of £20m (€24m), on a two-and-a-half year-contract and could make his debut in Saturday’s showdown with fellow strugglers Watford at St James’ Park.
Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe told the club website: “Chris is an important signing for us at a crucial time and I’m very pleased we have been able to move quickly and bring him here.
“He is a very dangerous attacking threat, has a physicality and character that I really like, and he has vast experience in the Premier League. He will be a great fit for us.”
Wood, who has played for Leicester and Leeds among other clubs, moves to Newcastle after four and a half years at Burnley, during which time he scored 49 goals in 144 Premier League appearances.
“This is a very exciting opportunity for me and I’m delighted to be a Newcastle United player,” Wood said.
“I have played at St James’ Park a few times and it’s an amazing place, so to have the chance to represent this club with those incredible supporters behind me and my team-mates is very special.
“The club and manager have been first class during this process, and I really can’t wait to get onto the pitch and repay the faith they have in me, especially with a vital part of the season ahead of us.”
Aston Villa have completed the signing of left-back Lucas Digne from Everton.
Financial details were not disclosed but Sky Sports had earlier reported that the deal was worth between £20m and £25m.
The 28-year-old joins Villa after three and a half years at Everton, where he made 127 appearances across all competitions while registering six goals and 20 assists.
Digne, capped 43 times by France, last played for the Merseyside club on 1 December in the 4-1 home defeat by rivals Liverpool.