September 19, 2021

SportsOnly

Football and other sports news

Benjamin Mendy rape and sexual assault trial set for January

2 min read

Benjamin Mendy will go on trial early next year after being accused of the rape of two women and the sexual assault of a third alleged victim.

The Manchester City left-back spoke only to confirm his name during the 45-minute hearing at Chester Crown Court, where a date of 24 January, 2022 was set for his trial, accused of four counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

The charges were not put to him and no pleas were entered during the hearing, which dealt largely with administrative matters ahead of the trial.

A further hearing will be held on 15 November and Eleanor Laws QC, defending Mendy, said there would be an application to dismiss the charges on that date.

The alleged attacks, on three different women including one under 18, are said to have happened at his home address on Withinlee Road in Prestbury, Cheshire.

Mendy was charged on 26 August with three counts of rape relating to an alleged incident in October 2020 and with the sexual assault of a woman in early January this year.

He is also charged with raping a woman last month.

The Premier League player was refused bail last month and is currently on remand at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool.

Mendy has played for City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52 million.

He was suspended by the club after being charged by police, pending an investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

RSS
Follow by Email
WhatsApp