Welcome to another episode of Interesting Football Facts . Want to know more about football?.
Here are 10 Interesting Facts about Football that you probably didn’t know before reading this!
Football is the world’s most popular game which combines strength, speed, and skills. Even if you are a hardcore fan of Football, there may still be many things that you don’t know about this amazing sport. Check out these 10 interesting facts about Football.
- The last time both European Cup / Champions League finalists had no foreign players in their starting XIs was in 1966-67 Final between Celtic (Scotland) and Inter Milan (Italy).
- The first British football club to reach a European Champions Cup Semi Final was Hibernian of Scotland in season 1955-56.
- Harry Redknapp is the only manager to win the Premier League Manager of the Month Award for four different clubs: West Ham (November 1998), Portsmouth (April & Oct 2004), Southampton (March 2005) & Tottenham Hotspur (August 2009).
- The Soviet Union (USSR) won the first European Football Championships in 1960.
- The first non-United Kingdom football team to beat England on English soil was the Republic of Ireland beating England 2-0 at Goodison Park on 21st September 1949. Hungary were the first foreign team to win at Wembley Stadium.
- Manchester United’s manager Sir Alex Ferguson was the Premier League Manager of the year 11 times including 2002-03 season. Interestingly, Sir Alex Ferguson partly owned a race horse called Rock of Gibraltor, being named European Horse of the Year in 2002.
- The first time player\s shirt numbers were used was on 25th August 1928 when Sheffield Wednesday beat Arsenal 3-2. Wednesday wore numbers 1 to 11 while Arsenal wore numbers 12 to 22.
- The first British player to be transferred for £110,000 was Denis Law from Manchester City to Torino (Italy) in June 1961. Jimmy Greaves went from AC Milan to Tottenham Hotspur a few weeks earlier for £99,999 as Bill Nicholson didn’t want Greaves to be the first hundred thousand pounds footballer.
- Steve Archibald in 1982 appeared twice on the same episode of “Top of the Pops” with two different groups, firstly singing “We Have a Dream” with the Scotland World Cup squad starring B.A. Robertson and then alongside his Tottenham Hotspur team mates and Chas & Dave singing “Tottenham, Tottenham”
- The eight countries wholly or partly located in Asia that play their football in Europe are Turkey, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, Cyprus, Israel and Russia.
Hope you enjoyed reading and knowing more about the “the beautiful game”?. Come back next time for another episode of Interesting Football Facts 🔥🔥.